The Afton Heritage Hall of Fame first opened on July 5th, 2008 in the Afton Civic Center with the purpose being to honor those who have contributed to the success of Afton and the entire Star Valley Community. In addition to the people shown herein, it is planned that additional inductees will be added to the Hall of Fame in the coming years.
Baker Cabin Museum Alonzo and his eldest son Lonny, then age ten, were absent in the spring of 1889 working in Montana. The family was living on the homestead in Etna in a tent and an overturned wagon box. Anna Eliza (age 32) was left alone with six children, the youngest but a baby. Wife Anna Eliza,my grandmother, having spent the previous winter under these primitive conditions, wanted a house. She had the knowledge and skill (having learned the building trades from her contractor father) to build a house and most importantly she had the will and determination.
Star Valley Historical Society Barn Museum This historic barn, once owned by the University of Wyoming, is currently located on the Lincoln County Fairgrounds in Afton. About the same time the old LDS Seminary building, previously located on the former Afton High School property, was moved to its new location on the Fairgrounds, the old dairy barn was given to the Star Valley Historical Society. The building underwent a renovation program to stabilize and reinforce the inside. In addition, new roofing and paint was added to the outside in preparation for being included in the National Barn Again barn restoration program in 2004. Location: The building may be seen at 138 South Washington (West First Avenue) in Afton. (GPS:42.73160N 110.934205W)
Located at the Civic Center in Afton, Wyoming, the CallAir Museum commemorates the history of the Call Aircraft Factory founded in 1939 by Reuel Call. CallAir airplanes were designed, developed, and manufactured at Afton from about 1940 to 1970.
The building may be seen at 138 South Washington (West First Avenue) in Afton. The museum is open primarily during the summer months. Call (307) 883-2174 or (307) 885-5523 for more information. (GPS:42.73160N 110.934205W)
The Old Rock Church The Old Auburn Rock Church is one of the oldest buildings in Star Valley. Permanent settlers moved into the Valley in 1879. In the spring of 1888, these hardy pioneer farmers and ranchers surveyed the townsite of Auburn into 24, ten acre blocks. In the late summer and fall of 1889, the rock church was erected on the public square in the center of the new townsite. The building served as a place of worship for the Latter-Day Saints and a meeting place for the entire community. Activities in the building included dances, plays, operas, parties, bazaars, reunions, picnics and patriotic and holiday celebrations. It is currently used primarily for Star Valley Historical Society sponsored old-time plays each summer. The building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on 13 December 1985. (GPS: 42.79157N 111.00119W)